Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Bookish Review! Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Hot, sexy, glow-in-the-dark aliens that live next door from a book blogger, what more could you ask for in a book?! So much fun, and so engrossing, you won't want to stop reading this series :)

Before we talk spoiler-free about Onyx, let’s discuss a little bit about the first book in the LUX series, Obsidian. I feel like I am very much in the minority when I say that I really was disappointed in Obsidian. I knew that so many people really enjoyed this series, and I just couldn’t help the disappointment I felt when I had finished the book. For me, Daemon was mean and annoying. His and Katy’s relationship really just wasn’t doing it for me in Obsidian. Also, even though Aliens seem like something unique for the paranormal romance genera, the plot came off so cliché and predictable. When I finished book one, I had no desire to start or more on to book two.

With all that said, I am extremely glad I read book two, Onyx. For me, Onyx was such a step up from Obsidian. I really became engrossed in the story and I was so pleasantly surprised. So, without further ado, let’s talk about Onyx!

The Plot:  Onyx was such an exciting page turner for me! It was such a step up from the predictable plot of the previous book. I really had no idea where it was going, and loved every minute of the journey. There was action, mystery, twists and romance. It was just so good! I loved how Katy and Daemon’s relationship developed; it was so less cheesy than in the first book. I really fell for Daemon, his character development has been great. I liked Katy’s development too, for the most part, but she made some stupid and irritating mistakes as well that were kinda annoying. But, A+ for improvement. After finishing Onyx I HAD to immediately start Opal!

The Writing: Jennifer L. Armentrout has an interesting writing style in these books. In Obsidian, the writing really bothered me. It came off so juvenile and awkward. I found myself reading a word and thinking, honestly, did she really just use that phrase in a published book?.  However, everything greatly improved in Onyx, the writing actually became charming, real, and even funny at times.  Jennifer really pulled me into the story in this book and I can’t stop reading! 

Overall Thoughts and Rating: Again, I really liked this book. The story, writing, plot, basically all elements improved in this book for me and I can’t wait to see where everything goes. Jennifer has an amazing ability to know what readers want, and to deliver it spot on. I also absolutely love Katy and how her character is growing. She’s a book blogger, which is awesome and relatable. She’s also strong and independent. This series is just so much fun and I would recommend this to all fans of YA, especially paranormal romance.
Onyx gets a 4 out of 5 stars from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment